The Fan Fiction Lounge

A Place To Relax And Share

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the Fan Fiction Lounge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Miranda/Andy - The Devil Wears Prada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 am 

You know what the best fics are? It's the ones you don't look for but find anyway.

So the other day I was on a Star Trek: Voyager bender, with Janeway/Seven as my drink of choice when I for some reason opened a The Devil Wears Prada fic. Why I did this... I don't know. I don't know The Devil Wears Prada. I've never even seen The Devil Wears Prada. But for some reason I opened this one fic in a tab and decided that I would give it a read.

When you read a piece of fan fiction you use two measures. The first one is how much you love the subjects and the second is how well it's written. I can happily say that while my interest in the subjects were low, the writing was gorgeous and captured my attention. Which made me appreciate the characters of Miranda and Andy. So now I have a new drink of choice on this particular bender.

The Devil Wears Prada is, as most of you probably know, a movie (based on a book) about Miranda Priestly, the editor of the fashion magazine "Runway" and pretty much THE fashion trendsetter, and Andrea "Andy" Sachs, the young woman with almost no interest in fashion who get's the unglamorous job of being Miranda's assistant.

Miranda is in her early fifties while Andy is around 25, so yes, it's very much a May-December romance. If that's not your cup of tea at all then I suggest you stay away. But if it isn't a deal breaker and if you like well written stories then I highly suggest the following fics:

Like Andrea by Gin is the first in a four part series and you Xena fans might remember her as the writer of several good Xena fics and she doesn't disappoint. This was the fic I opened in a tab for somer eason and that got me hooked. I truly loved them, mostly for the good writing in the beginning but then the characters grew on me. What I found interesting about this series is that the romance moves along quite fast, but with the writing it never feels rushed. I can gush on about it, but it's safe to say that the series get's my stamp of approval. (also keep your eyes open for some subtle and not so subtle cameos from various tv shows. Which always felt natural, a rare thing in fiction) When it comes to Xena fiction, Melissa Good is the standard for me. Every single piece of fiction I read that involves blue and green eyes meeting is held up and compared to Missy Good. And found wanting. Not that they're bad, but they just don't reach the solid 10 that Missy provides. This is what Gin does for my Miranda/Andy fiction. Every piece will be held up and compared to her writing and most likely be found good, great even. Just not great enough.

Andy realizes Miranda is acting oddly and is determined to help her ex-boss.. Read it here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5544309/1/Like-Andrea

Small Favors by Harriet is also the first in a series and also wonderfully written. Here, like in 90% of the Miranda/Andy fiction out there, it takes place after the movie and involves them slowly coming together after a year and a chance, or maybe not so chance, meeting. Find the rest of Harriet's fics by going to Ralst The Devil Wears Prada page and scroll down to her name. Read it here: http://www.ralst.com/SmallFavors1.HTM

My third recommendation is Truth and Measure by Telanu. I've only read a few pages of this 270k+ word fic but so far I'm loving it. It's well written, and well written fics should always get kudos. There is a bit of a twist to this story. In the movie *SPOILER* Andy walked away from Miranda and her job while in Paris, *END SPOILER* but in this fic she decided to stay. Read it, or download a .txt file with the story here: http://telanu.thirteenblackbirds.net/fic_dwp/truth_and_measure_menu.html

And of course, Ralst page, http://www.ralst.com/storiesDWP.html is a goldmine, as is a google search for Mirandy stories.